The Search History page records all the searches you have run during the current session. It allows you to run searches again, refine them, combine them with other searches or delete them from your list.
Note that the searches on the Search History page are only retained for a single session so that any information recorded there will be lost once you exit Patrologia Latina.
Click the Search History button in the toolbar of Patrologia Latina to open the Search History index.
The number of searches performed in your current session is indicated. Note that only the terms of your search are recorded, not the results of the search itself.
Each entry in the list consists of:
- a number to indicate the position of a search in the list - the most recent search history is displayed at the top of the list. (The first search carried out during the session will always be number 1).
- the terms that make up your search
- a Refine link
- the number of results retrieved by the search.
Running a search
Click the underlined search terms for the search you want to run. The results of the search will be displayed.
Refining a search
You may want to change elements of a search to widen or narrow the scope. Instead of having to enter your search terms all over again, you can use the Refine link.
Click the Refine link corresponding to the search you want to alter.
The search page, along with all the search terms you originally specified, is displayed.
Edit the terms you want to change and click the search button to run the search with your revised terms.
Note: you will not be able to refine a previously combined search.
Click the Clear these searches link to remove all searches from the current list.
You may wish to combine previous searches from the Search History list and see how it affects the number of results retrieved:
- Type the numbers of the two searches into the Combine Searches boxes.
- Select the required Boolean operator (AND, OR, NOT) from the dropdown list.
- Click the Combine Searches button to run the new search. When the search is complete the results page will open.
Note: it is not possible to combine a cross search with a standard search.